Friday, August 24, 2012

Them's the Breaks

I stumbled out of bed, crossed my fingers and stepped onto the scale. For once, it didn't completely disappoint me. I've finally lost 24 pounds in my journey to better myself and my health. I have quite a bit to go, but you have to start somewhere, and my results haven't happened randomly or magically.

It set the mood for the day.


Renee recently turned 18, so in celebration Devon, Lawrence, Renee and I decided to go out for a day of fun. We decided on a well-known children's museum that none of us had been to. She had to laugh at the irony of celebrating her birthday that marked stepping into adulthood being spent somewhere made for children.

We had a nice time and caught up as summer has been hectic and I haven't seen her as much as I would like. Her job search has been (unsurprisingly) not going well, as she has no vehicle and her father lives in a town of less than 300 people. I did find out that Mother has been constantly calling and texting her all hours of the day and night. She has repeatedly asked Renee to move back in with her, which Renee has (thankfully) refused to do, adamantly.

I think Mother has finally realized the gravity of her situation -- she is married to a man that she does not love (and that does not love her), she is jobless, practically penniless, and has burned any bridges with family members that would be able or willing to help her get out of her situation.

I am sad -- she is my Mother too, after all -- but I will not allow her to take from me any more than she already has. I have worked hard to get where I am and will not risk losing it to help someone as manipulative and ungrateful as her.

1 comment: